Blogarama - Visual Design Blogs

Thursday 23 June 2016

So yesterday I was looking at a rendering I did of the mini fighters. (See Previous post). The photo I posted looks great but when I rendered the first 900 frames of the build animation I ran into problems with the lighting.

In the scene I am using an HDR lighting setup that replicates a studio setup (check it out if your not using HDR, makes lighting a snap). The problem was that as I played the video it appeared as if the lighting was flickering.

Doing some research online I found that it was most likely due to all of the reflective surfaces in the scene.

Here is a link to the article that solved the problem:


It was not a firefly problem but changing three of the settings fixed the "flickering"

1. The HDRI map resolution is now set to 512 in Blender (Changed to 1024)
2. In Light Paths, increased Filter Glossy to 0.50
3. Increased the samples to 1500 from 1250

This solved my issue but what I cannot figure out is it tripled the file size of the PNG frames (Resolution was unchanged at 720P and no compression changes.)


Shout out to @andrewpprice of blenderguru.com whose tutorials and lighting discussions really work.

No comments:

Post a Comment